Personal Client Services
The Deutsch Williams estate planning group works with each client to develop a personal estate plan that implements the client's wishes for distribution of assets, minimizing gift, estate and generation skipping transfer taxes, and is administratively practical. Our comprehensive estate planning services include consultation, tax analysis, review of assets and form of ownership, preparation of wills, trusts and other documents to implement the estate plan, use of trusts, family limited partnerships and other entities, where appropriate, to achieve tax savings or other objectives, coordination of estate plans with the complex issues affecting the control and management of closely-held businesses, and lifetime gifting strategies. Our attorneys keep up with changes in the tax laws affecting wealth transfer, and we offer sophisticated strategies for preserving wealth. We work closely with our clients and their advisors, and as necessary we draw on the firm's expertise in the corporate, human services, family law, real estate and tax areas.
Trust & Estate Administration
We are experienced in the administration of trusts and assisting clients through the probate of estates. We provide a full range of trust and estate administration services, including all required filings for probate proceedings, assistance with asset transfers, advice and consultation to fiduciaries and beneficiaries, preparation and filing of gift, estate and fiduciary income tax returns, and litigation in the probate courts. Our attorneys are actively involved with the management and investment of trust funds and estate assets, and many serve as trustees or in other fiduciary positions.
Our elder law group is comprised of attorneys from the estate planning, trust and estates, family law, human services, tax and litigation groups, who work together to address the broad range of complex legal and practical issues that affect the elderly. These may include long term care placement, medicaid eligibility, social security, medicare and retirement benefits, health and long-term care insurance, preservation and management of assets, delegation of decision making for health care and financial decisions, guardians and conservators, mental health law, and elder abuse and fraud recovery.
Deutsch Williams' real estate attorneys are experts in handling complex real estate transactions. Our clients include purchasers, sellers, developers, commercial and residential lenders, and governmental units. We also represent private and public lenders as well as borrowers in real estate loans, limited partnership and equity investments, and affordable housing financing, including governmental financing programs.
Our real estate attorneys:
- Negotiate draft title documents, conservation restrictions, contracts among parties, loan documents, work outs, leases, condominium documents and letters of credit
- Handle permits and approvals including zoning, subdivision control, special permits, wetlands and tidelands
- Counsel agencies and boards of state and municipal government on the application of statutes to particular permits and approvals
- Handle eminent domain and road layout matters
- Fashion solutions for record title and boundary defects
- Represent lenders in collection and foreclosures
The firm provides businesses and individuals with tax advice and tax planning. We regularly consult with other departments in the firm to analyze the tax ramifications and consequences of transactions, litigation and other matters. Our tax attorneys assist clients in the corporate, financial, non-profit sectors and in personal matters, providing:
- Representation before the Internal Revenue Service
- Tax analysis of mergers, acquisition, stock redemptions and recapitalizations
- Analysis of tax returns in light of overall business operations and financial structure
- Advice on tax compliance
- Preparation of personal, fiduciary and business income tax returns
- Preparation of gift and estate tax returns
- Applications for tax-exempt status for charitable organizations
- Representation in criminal tax matters